Thursday, October 28, 2010

Art Summative Evaluation 1

Art Summative Evaluation 1

1. Write a minimum of a paragraph explaining your interpretation of the music and lyrics. Explain how you used certain elements or principles of design to describe the selected piece of music.

My interpretation of the music and lyrics is that the song “Airplanes” is a fairly slow song so it made me slow down while I painted and think a bit more about exactly what I painted. I suppose this could have been bad and good because you usually learn from your mistakes. From slowing down I found that I only made two complete mistakes throughout the entire painting. I definitely tried to use many layers of paint because first of all, I like to paint thickly and I don’t really like thin washes of paint. But second, the slow music of the song got me into a sort of rhythm where I painted over and over and the painting got really thick.

What discoveries or techniques did you find helpful through the process?

Some techniques that I found really helpful through the process of painting my painting (?) were layering the paint a lot to make it look really thick. I especially think that this was useful because I wanted my painting to be very dark and by painting over and over, it gave the illusion of foreverness until you got to my city skyline.
Another technique (not really a technique but a tool almost) that I found useful was using painters tape to give myself crisp lines. Now that I look back, I could have use it more than on a park bench (didn’t work out) on shooting stars (also didn’t work out) and the borders (I think they look great). I could have used it to create more of a crisp walkway so that it would not get confused with and a river and maybe just to limit the space that some objects in my painting took up.

What are two skills that you learnt and what is one area that you feel you work on to improve your skills?

I feel that I improved a lot in painting straighter lines because I always find myself painting curvy. (New paintbrushes helped a lot) That isn’t really too much of an accomplishment but straight as opposed to wavy looks much more sharp. I also think that I improved at making colours to paint with. Usually when I mix colours I find I have not found the right colour but I guess just from experience I became better at gauging how much of each colour to mix.
One thing that I would like to improve on is giving my painting more texture. Usually my paintings ulook flat and this one especially (except for the dotted stars does).

No comments:

Post a Comment